Paying Attention to Medical Claims Issues

Tired Of Putting Your Child Through Medical Tests With No Answers For Their Illness? Act Fast And Find An Internal Specialist

If your child has been in and out of the pediatrician's office because they are constantly ill, and they aren't getting a diagnosis or any successful treatment, it may be time to talk with an internal medicine professional, like Broadway Medical Clinic, LLP. These professionals are experts in diseases, and they may have the answers you're looking for to find out what is wrong with your child.

The more time you waste, the worse your child's condition can get, and the harder it may become to treat the problem. Here are a few of the things you'll want to do when you start to look for an expert.

Call Your Insurance

Call your health insurance provider and find out what you need to get the appointment covered by an internal specialist. You may need to get a referral from your pediatrician or from another specialist. You want to know what the cost is going to be before you make the appointment, or if the appointment will be covered. Each company may have different requirements and you want to know upfront if you're paying out of pocket.

Have all Tests and Treatments Documented

Get all of your child's tests and treatment information compiled in one place to take to the appointment. You want to have all of the diagnosis documents from different pediatricians or specialists and have all imaging tests included in the file. This way you can send the file in advance, and the expert can look over everything prior to the appointment. Including every document can also help the professional see what kinds of special blood panels need to be done, as some diseases can only be detected on special-ordered tests--like the ELISA and Western blot for Lyme disease.

Find a Pediatric Specialist

Since many internists focus only on adults, make sure you specify that you need to see a "med-ped," or a professional that has split their four years of specialization after medical school between pediatrics and internal medicine. Since a child can't easily explain exactly how they feel or what's wrong, it can be difficult to fully understand their symptoms and complications unless you see a med-ped. You may have to travel further or find a children's hospital to find a med-ped since they are different from family practitioners--but it will be worth it.

An internal medicine specialist is the best option to get answers for what is going on with your child's condition and to find out if they are suffering from an illness or disease that can be treated. Talk with your child's pediatrician to see if they think they have exhausted all options in diagnosing and treating the problem and if they have an internal medicine professional they recommend.